Sometimes it is impossible to deliver all the mail that arrives at the post office. Perhaps there is an inadequate or illegible address and there is no return address. The post office cannot just throw the mail away, so it becomes “dead mail”.
Dead mail is sent to one of the U. S. Postal Service’s dead mail offices in Atlanta, New York, Philadelphia, St. Paul, and San Francisco. Seventy-five million pieces of mail can end up in these offices in one year.
The staff of the dead mail offices has a variety of ways to deal with all of these pieces of dead mail. First of all, they look for clues that can help them deliver the mail; they open packages in the hope that something inside will show where the package comes from or is going to. Dead mail will also be listed on a computer so that people can call in and check to see if a missing item is there.
However, all of this mail cannot simply be stored forever;there is just too much of it. When a lot of dead mail has piled up, the dead mail offices hold public auctions. Every three months, the public is invited to the offices and bins containing items found in dead mail packages and they are sold to the highest bidder.
1. Which of the following is NOT mentioned as a way to deal with dead mail?
A. To search for clues.
B. To throw dead mail away.
C. To open dead mail.
D. To list dead mail on a computer.
2. The staff in a dead mail office may open a package in order to find _______.
A. some money
B. some missing objects
C. an address
D. a computer
3. The passage indicates that dead mail auctions are held _______.
A. once a year
B. twice a year
C. three times a year
D. four times a year
4. Which is the best title for the passage?
A. Dead Mail
B. Mail Auction
C. Unknown Mail
D. The Dead Mail Office
本文主要是講有關dead mail 的形成以及郵局對dead mail 的處理方法。
1. B。事實細節題。根據文中的…they look for clues…they open packages…Dead mail will also be listed on a computer so that…可知，選項A、C、D均提到了，但沒有提到期To throw dead mail away 故選B。
2. C。事實細節題。根據第3段中的 …they open packages in the hope that something inside will show where the package came from or is going to 可知答案為C。
3. D。事實細節題。根據文中的 all of this mail cannot simply be stored forever …Every three months 可推出答案為D。
4. A。主旨大意題。文章主要談及Dead Mail及其處理方法，故答案選A。